Lesson Title: Interior Design
Key Objective: Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of how interior design impacts the experience of a space.
Standards: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.K-5: 1, 2, 6, 7 CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.6-12: 1, 2, 6, 7
Connecting Artist: Stephanie Garmey. Indigo Dream
Enduring Idea: What are the effects of a room’s color, light, and textureon humans? How does this knowledge inform my own designs?
• Pencils, black pens, colored pencils, and/or colored markers
• 3D station material suggestions: pencils, black pens, colored pencils, and/or colored markers
• 2D station material suggestions: pencils, black pens, colored pencils, and/or colored markers, magazines, scissors, glue
Key concepts/procedures/connecting ideas:
1. Invite Learners to take on the role of interior designer. Research and acknowledge the psychological impact of design.
2. How does color, light, and texture in design impact humans psychologically?
1. Prompt students to analyze the design of their classroom space. Encourage students to consider how they would redesign their classroom.
2. How would you change the space? What would you add or take away? How will these changes effect how you experience the space? Create a visual representation of your changes.
3. Create a presentation about your design choices. See the “Activity Procedures” page for further strategies.